Friday, November 11, 2005

Every November 11th, Canadians across the country pause in a silent moment of remembrance for the men and women who served our country during wartime. We honour those who fought for Canada in the First World War (1914-1918), the Second World War (1939-1945) and the Korean War (1950-1953). More that 1,500,000 Canadians served overseas - more than 100,000 died. They gave their lives and their future so that we may live in peace. At 11:11 AM on the 11th day of the 11th month, we have this moment of silence.

I was in complete shock yesterday when I found out that HONESTLY, you people weren't messing with me. You didn't know what a poppy was or the significance of it. The significance of the poppy comes from this poem.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


To learn the significance of the author and the very touching story behind the writing of it, click here. It is a very short article and worth the read.

I am not writing this post to make anyone feel ignorant (I am NOT one to point a finger. Trust me). Or bad. Or make you think I think you are unthankful for past soldiers lives cut short by war. I honestly just assumed that everyone in the world took place in this day of remembrance. There is an assembly in all our schools where they observe this moment, (Normally after a video or some type of presentation. Most times the students are involved by sharing their own poems or thoughts.) as well as in work places - if the business is not shut down completely that day. It's a BIG thing here. Rob is in the Canadian Military and he has to put on his good uniform today and march in a parade. During this time there will be other, larger parades airred on tv.

There is huge part of me that actually feels guilty that I am not going to the parade today because Crofton is sick (his very first cold ever) and it's miserable out. It falls right during his morning nap. Most times I would skip it for something like this, but because he is sick he needs his sleep. I told Phats I would take pictures, but you'll just have to use your imagination. Maybe when Rob gets home I'll take a picture of him in his uniform and post it.

I just spoke to my friend and her kids are home today from school and she reminded me that we've never gone to school on Remembrance day. And the assembly I'm talking about always took place the day before.