Friday, September 28, 2007

I can't help myself.

OK. I had a fruit fly problem that got out of hand for awhile. I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I was convinced they were compliments of the store and came as a little incentive built into fruit so you had to eat it all quicker...to get back to the buying of more fruit... Then I found the real source. I was putting some laundry in the washer, because that's pretty much how I spent my solid week of vomit, and my elbow bumped into some empties that were in my laundry room. Well, let me just tell you. Time to rinse the empties people. EVERY TIME. EVERY CAN. ALWAYS!! So, I bumped into the empties (weird hey? I NEVER bump into things) and HUNDREDS of these tiny flying demons take flight. All around me. It was horrible. Needless to say, with flailing arms, I made things worse as they dispersed throughout my house like a plague.

So...what now? Telling my woes to my friend Amber, she tells me how to rig a fruit fly trap. So I'm stoked and decide to take action. I set up traps all over my house. I tried different lures. Amber swears by vinegar in the trap. I didn't have much luck with that. I put beer in one, and got a pretty good turn out. Put blueberries in another...which proceeded to just turn moldy... apparently fruit flies aren't as fond of blueberry mold as you'd expect. One I put apple juice in, which was not as as well recepted as I thought either, but not completely ignored. Same thing with orange juice. However, the goldmine? Banana. Banana makes these little suckers go nuts. They couldn't get in my trap fast enough! They were fighting to get in, I swear. OK, this is getting long winded. I'll wrap it up by saying I have gotten my fruit fly problem cleared up, but I haven't been able to part with my trap. I'm so sick, I swear. I keep checking in on them and watching this piece of banana liquify. The grossest part of all of it is listening to them trying to get out of the trap and bouncing off the plastic wrap. Here... check it out yourself.

I don't feel the need to show you how gross I really am. I do, however have a real issue with trying to gross out others. So, for the weak of stomach, please click play. It's not gross. I swear.

I thought The Duck would find this clip particularly disgustingly intriguing, as he has done a post on maggots and expressed a similar "want to look away, but can't" kind of attitude that I have struggled with for days with these creepy members of our food chain.

Have a great weekend everyone...